Sunday, February 13, 2011

I want to be ASTONISHING...

...to Jesus.

I know that might sound weird, but as I was reading through Matthew 7, I came across a verse (verse 10), which got my attention. I don't know if I remember seeing that before.

The story begins with a centurion (a Roman guard) approaching Jesus and told him about his servant, who was lying at home paralyzed and greatly suffering. Servants in those days were often times as close as a person's own family, and this was breaking this man up. Jesus looked at the man and told him, "I will go and heal him". But, the centurion stopped him and said, "No! You don't actually have to GO to my house, just say something!" He went on to say that he understood authority, since he was under authority himself and he also had subjects under him. He knew that all Jesus needed to was to "tell him to be healed and he will be!"

Jesus looked at this man in amazement. Verse 10 says, "When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following, "I'm not lying...I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith." After a few more comments, he told the centurion, "Go! He's going to be healed!" And he WAS, within the hour.

Here was a man who was of high-standing. He could have walked right up to Jesus and demanded Jesus to heal his servant, but he didn't. He could have said something disdainful in an attempt to put Jesus to shame, but he didn't. He knew that he was a man who had a need, even though he was a very capable, powerful individual. And he submitted to Jesus. He had faith that Jesus was who He said He was, and he didn't even question it.

In the midst of his own trial, not even any of Jesus' known "followers" had more faith in Jesus eyes than this man. He had more faith than those who followed Jesus every day of his life. He was not a man in the "inner circle".

Jesus honors our faith -- no matter who we are. And as someone who follows Jesus, I want to have the faith of this centurion -- and I want to be ASTONISHING to Jesus by my faith in Him.




CHICKY GROOVY COOLNESS GADGET


0 comments: